Have you ever considered taking up golfing or at least giving it a try? It’s not just for retirees anymore, and many more public courses offer affordable rates and longer hours. If you are on the fence and wonder if golf is for you, consider some of these unique characteristics.
- Everyone you see behind a golf club had to start somewhere. Picture this: a teenage girl, caddying for her mother’s husband at Bucknell University Golf Course, lugging his bag in the summer heat up and down each hole just for a chance to hit a few balls on the practice green. Ok, maybe for the hot dog at the clubhouse also. Granted, we all cannot reclaim our childhood and start playing at age four like Tiger. But once you try it, you’ll wonder why you waited so long.
- Golf is a sport for people of any age. Any given day you may see golfers from 3 to 93 swinging away and loving it. Looking to spend more time together as a couple or family? It’s the perfect activity for group fun. Obviously, it is not one of the more strenuous sports, but don’t be surprised if you break a sweat feeling that competitive spirit.
- Nature. Get out and enjoy it! Even if you have a less than disappointing day swinging down the links, just look around and move onto the next hole-it’s a new fresh start at every tee. What other sport offers that?
- It is truly a “Gentleman’s sport”. Yes, there many rules and it can be intimidating at first but at its core golf instills character and sportsmanship. Players further from the hole are given the honors and hit first, and each is trusted to keep track of their own score. But golf etiquette is more than just good manners-many of the guidelines are implemented for players’ safety as well as maintaining the quality of the course. Once you get a few rounds under your belt, most of the rules of play become second nature and you’ll be able to focus more on your swing.
- Besides auto racing, what other sport allows you to drive a cute little cart, wear unusual clothes, and has a rest-point halfway through? You guessed it!
So what are you waiting for? Alright, maybe a little less snow right about now, but in the meantime check out this site for more info on playing golf and it’s rules. See you on the green!